Thursday, April 28, 2011

Experiment #6: Coconutty Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf

So, I had all that lemon curd leftover from experiment #2, and I wasn't about to slather it on a scone or on top of a cake since it was just too lemony for me. I modified a basic coffeecake recipe that called for applesauce and substituted part of it for the lemon curd, added poppy seeds and coconut, and omitted the nutmeg and other spices called for in the original recipe. It was so tasty! Too bad I only made one small loaf. Sad face. I think this would make a great muffin and/or cake recipe too. Just enough lemon but not overwhelming like that first bite of lemon curd. The following recipe will make 2 mini loaves:

1/2c granulated sugar
1T water
1/4c vegetable oil
2T almond milk
1/4c plus 3T applesauce
2T lemon curd
1c flour
1/2t baking soda
1t poppy seeds
1/4c toasted coconut



Combine sugar and all liquid ingredients. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture (half at first) being careful not to overmix. Divide batter between 2 mini-loaf pans sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes.

I had a bunch of toasted coconut left as well as frozen pie dough from the pizza pie experiment. I've had a hankering for cherry pie, so I think that's next.

SO, from this experiment I learned:
1. I don't like lemon curd alone, but mixed into a cake batter...delicious!
2. Large flake toasted coconut adds great flavor and a nice texture contrast.

1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting and yummy combination! You still haven't answered my question: Can you ship these to Austin? I'll be your first dessert subscriber!

    ReplyDelete